A bright future for the Class of 2018

They are the future teachers, artists, and engineers of America. They are also the first senior class to graduate from Atlantis Charter School. On Friday, June 8, 40 remarkable young men and women will receive their high school diplomas during a graduation ceremony. Many of these students have been together at Atlantis since Kindergarten, but after 13 years together they will say goodbye to Atlantis and embark on the next journey in their lives.

“We are so very proud of each and every student for their hard work and determination,” said Allison Scanlon, 7-12 Site Leader at Atlantis. “They have worked extremely hard to reach this point. They have truly dared to be great and our hope is they will realize their potential beyond everyone’s expectations.”

Their hard work is evident in the fact that each and every senior was accepted to college. The majority of students (87.5 percent) plan to attend an in-state school. Graduates will likely see a few friendly faces on the campuses of Bristol Community College and UMass Amherst, Boston and Dartmouth. The other 12.5 percent will attend out-of-state schools including Rhode Island College, Roger Williams University and even the University of Tampa in Florida.

“I am incredibly proud of each of our graduates for reaching this important milestone in their life,” said district leader Gabriela Birmingham. “The Class of 2018 will always hold a very special place in our hearts and the history of Atlantis Charter School by being the first graduating class.”

These students are leaving Atlantis prepared for the challenges ahead. In addition to the core curriculum, the students studied in Atlantis’s innovative career academies, gaining early exposure to in-demand careers such as STEM, health, business, and teaching. This was achieved through hands-on class projects, field trips and internships. But Atlantis prepared them in other ways as well.

“Not only do we strive for academic excellence, we also hold great value in building a holistic young adult,” Scanlon explained. “We hope that we have had a part in shaping their character and that they have learned the importance of perseverance through any challenges and obstacles.”

Birmingham offered this advice to the seniors, “I want them to always remember to reach for their dreams, work hard for what they are passionate about, and stand strong in the face of adversity.”

Seniors will be attending graduation rehearsals during the week. On Friday, families will gather in the new gymnasium at Atlantis to see their loved ones graduate. But this is not an ending. It is a beginning. Ask any teacher at Atlantis, and they will agree, the future is bright for the Class of 2018.
Stay informed. Get the Newsletter!